Apart from general mandatory invoice indications (point 1. below), specific transactions require additional indications on the corresponding invoice. Without being exhaustive, we list the most common ones in point 2. and 3. below.
1. Mandatory invoice indications
According to Belgian law provisions, an invoice must contain each of the following indications:
- - The word "Invoice"
- - Invoice date
- - Unique sequential number identifying the invoice
- - Customer's full name, address and VAT identification number for companies in the European Community
- - Supplier's full name, address and VAT identification number for companies in the European Community
- - Description of quantity and type of goods supplied/type and extent of services
- - Date of transaction or payment (if different from invoice date)
- - Applied VAT rate
- - Payable VAT amount
- - Breakdown of VAT amount payable by VAT rate or exemption
- - Unit price of goods or services – exclusive of tax, discounts or rebates (unless included in the unit price)
2. Additional mandatory invoice indications, applicable to specific types of transactions
Invoices related to transactions specified below, must include the correct and corresponding exemption reference. Please note that this list is not exhaustive.
3. Revised warranty statement for diamond dealers, applicable to invoices relating to diamond purchases
Diamond dealers must replace the system of warranty (SoW) statement on their invoices and memos with the revised statement below. The revised statement must be applied to invoices and memos relating to rough diamond purchases by September 2024. In case of all other purchases, the transition period ends in September 2026. Beyond these dates, companies may no longer accept the original SoW statements from their clients.
"The diamonds herein invoiced have been purchased [or "sourced"*] from legitimate sources not involved in funding conflict, in compliance with United Nations Resolutions and corresponding national laws [where the invoice is generated**]. The seller hereby guarantees that these diamonds are conflict free and confirms adherence to the WDC SoW Guidelines."
- * "sourced" may be used by companies that do not purchase from open market, but source and aggregate diamonds from production facilities that are owned/partly owned by them.
- ** "where the invoice is generated" may be used by companies if they specifically want to reference the country of invoice issuance.
Additional information on the Revised System of Warranties (SoW) Guidelines can be found on the websites of the WDC and the AWDC.
If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
DISCLAIMER Our newsletters are purely informative and may under no circumstance be considered as constituting legal, tax or any kind of advice. Please contact us in the context of any interpretation or application of the information in this newsletter, in particular since legal and tax regulation are subject to regular amendments.